Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Stewed Bamboo Shoot 炆冬筍


I forgot and left two large winter bamboo shoots in the back of the fridge for a week. They are still good but have grown a little fiber. They are not good for quick soups or stir fries anymore. I figure if I cook them long then they would be more tender. Shanghai people stew bamboo shoot in the winter and it is a easy thing to do. I boiled the peeled and trimmed shoots for an hour before sautéing them briefly in hot oil. A little Shaoxing liquor is added and sugar, salt, dark and light soy sauce went in after a few second. Some shiitake mushrooms were also added. Water were added to cover and cooked for a couple of hours. The result is a great side dish. Here I have it at lunch with Cantonese roast pork. The soup is the liquid from boiling the bamboo with some sauce from the roast pork added.

No comments: