Friday, October 27, 2006

Yorkshire Pudding by Request

A friend of mine told me about her visit to the old GB and how she enjoyed Yorkshire pudding. She asked me to show her how the pudding is made here. So, here is my attempt.
First, of course, roast the beef. I brown the meat first after salt and peppering the rib cut. I got it to 145℉ in a 400℉ convected oven. This is not how people usually like to do it, the oven is a little too hot, they say. I like the crispy bits so I cook it this way.




After the roast is done, there is fat in the pan. And the brown things are great for the sauce. But the thing this time is the pudding so I used it all in the pudding.










I also got these wild chanterelles and they go well with the beef. I toss them with some of the beef fat and roasted them.










Back to the pudding, the batter, made of ¾ cup of flour, an egg, ½ cup of milk and ½ cup of water and a little salt. The steam from the liquid in the hot oven will puff it. I just poured the batter into the roasting pan and put it back into the 425℉ oven.








This is how it came out of the oven. I realized I didn't have enough batter to make it look proper but it still puffed. Unfortunately it collapsed into pancakes.










The beef cut up very nicely.














And the final ensemble. Really good eatin'! And the Yorkshire pancakes are really really good too.

No comments: