Thursday, September 18, 2008

Homemade Smoker


When you have a 25-pounder salmon, you can't really eat it all at once, unless you have 20 kids. Preserving it is therefore necessary. Here I smoked part of it in cherry after brining in sugar, salt, crush peppercorn and dark maple syrup.

The smoker is my spare large stock pot with aluminium foil lining the bottom and racks hold a pan of water and a perforated dish for the fish. At low setting on the stove top, I kept the temperature at minimal for the chips to smoke. For about five hours, it was between 140℉ and 160℉. The inspiration is from smokers they sell in store that burns coal. I see that it is but a heat source that make smoke out of wood chip and then a pan of water and a rack. I change the hear source to the stove and I can do it indoor under the rangehood. The result is very good, the fish takes in sweet sweet smoke flavour without any hint of burnt. The house smell slightly of smoke, more like a little incense. All hail the powerful Cypress Hi-Jet!

No comments: