Sunday, February 08, 2009

Smoked Egg 熏蛋


Smoked egg is a famous side dish in Eastern China. It is not difficult to make if you have the 'master sauce' 卤水 handy (I do because I have a lot leftover from making the smoke chicken; this time I am going to maintain this sauce as the older it gets, the more you cooked in it, the better it gets. ). The trick is to poach the egg first until just barely soft boiled before peeling and putting it into the warm sauce. Let the sauce cool with the egg for half and hour to an hour depending on the strength of the sauce. The egg is very good just like that. If cooled eggs are lightly smoked with jasmine tea and sugar then you have smoked eggs. If you get the temperature right throughout, you will get a very tasty egg with tender white and creamy yoke. I think I did a decent job.

No comments: