Thursday, May 20, 2010

Curry Beef 咖哩牛腩

This is about the heaviest curry I make.  The cut is brisket, quite fat and with a fair amount of tendons.  Combine that with coconut milk, it is heavy.  I make the curry powder myself by toasting and grinding some cumin, coriander seeds, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, black poppy seeds, chili flakes and black pepper then  blend it with turmeric powder and hot chili powder.  Since I like to use the pressure cooker for the moist texture, I marinate the meat with this mixture for a couple of days before cooking so the flavours penetrate without long cooking.  For the cooking part, garlic, ginger and onion are first sautéed first before the meat is added, chunks of carrot, lime leaves and salt are next.  After a couple of minutes, water is added to cover and then cook under pressure for half an hour.   The meat is now just the other side of completely tender.  Big pieces of potatoes and coconut milk join the pot and then under pressure for 10 more minutes.  I like peas, so frozen peas go in to just warm through.  Certainly not a dish to eat too much or the heart may stop, but since it is so rich, a little on rice goes a long long way.  I ain't so bad after all, I hope...

No comments: