Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Chocolate Torte

My second dessert for dinner is this chocolate torte. I figure the dacquoise is very time consuming to make so this is easy. The only problem is I had a little too much batter for my 9" pan. The top crowned a bit and crack more than usual. It held though. With some confectioner's sugar and it doesn't look so bad. This has 10 egg yolks whipped with 1 cup of sugar (I like my chocolate bitter so I use less sugar than others); heated and mixed ½ lb of bittersweet and ½ lb of dark (well, the out of bittersweet and can find no open supermarket on Christmas Eve problem) and 14 tablespoons of butter; cooked them all together in double boiler until thick and added crème de framboise and vanilla. The whole thing is then folded into 10 whipped egg whites before baking for 2½ hours in 275℉. I made strawberry sauce and crème anglaise for this also. The hostess ate a giant piece of this (along with a piece of the dacquoise), I had never seen her eaten so much before, a good sign.

No comments: