Saturday, April 26, 2008

Chinese Roast Chicken


As I made a 40-Clove Chicken in a clay pot and liked it, I thought maybe I will try the technique again but with Chinese flavours. All famous restaurants in Guangzhou and Hong Kong used to each have a signature chicken dish. One of them, LeKoufu 樂口福, has a Koufu chicken which my mom used to make when she started cooking when I was very young. It consists of smearing the inside of the chicken with a mixture of garlic, ginger, Chinese BBQ sauce 柱候醬, salt, sugar and rose liquor; and the skin is glazed with honey or maltose sugar mixed in with vinegar. The whole chicken is then cooked in a hot covered sand pot, turning every 10 minutes. I did the same but baked the chicken in the pot in a hot oven for an hour. It tasted very good but very different from the original recipe. It is interesting how difference the taste can be when cooked slightly differently, even when the seasoning is the same.

No comments: