Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Schweinshaxe

I picked up a fresh ham hock just because. I could have stewed it like I usually do but decided on doing something different. I remembered a friend asked me where may she find a good Schweinshaxe in town. I wasn't able to come up with anything, German food is just not very fashionable these days, or ever. So, I thought why don't I try and see if I can do it.






After some research, I decided on following this recipe more or less. I boiled the hock for half an hour, cut the skin in diamond shapes rather than horizontally. Grounded cumin, coriander, salt, pepper and pressed garlic are rubbed onto it. I left it in the fridge over night and then roasted it the next day on top of some onion, carrot and celery at 425℉ for one hour and then 375℉ for another hour.




I didn't have any beef stock handy so I used a cup of chicken stock and some beer (I so happens to have some hefeweizen at home) a few time in the second hour. The result is very good indeed. The skin is crispy as can be and just a little desolved cornstarch and a tasty gravy is made. I think I will make this more often, and maybe I will serve it to people next time, the thing is a little big for me but I wasn't able to stop eating it...

No comments: