Friday, March 13, 2009

Different brewing methods


Did a little experiment--same coffee brewed two ways. The coffee is city Ethiopian Kaffa Forrest and city+ Honduran in equal proportion. The cup on the left is from a bodum press pot using medium coarse grounds and the cup on the right is from a Aeropress with fine grounds. I don't follow the Aeropress' recommendations by using just under boilig water and twice the water without diluting afterwards. The visual difference is quite stricking, not only is there the expected cloudiness from the press pot, the colours are very different also. The fragrance are similar. The press pot gives more body and weight but the flavour is just as the look indicates--a little cloudy. The Aeropress has far more clarity, detail and layers. When cooled a little bit, acidity is brighter from the Aeropress. For my taste, I think the Aeropress is better for black coffee; but if I were to put milk in, I may want my French press. Despite what they say on their materials, the Aeropress does not make espresso no matter what you do, it does make a mighty fine cup of coffee, whatever you call it.

No comments: